ALBUM REVIEW: Her Loss - Drake & 21 Savage

 Did ya miss me? I was ill and needing to digest the latest Taylor Swift release. I am back and ready to go. Well I was...until I remembered tonight the new Drake was dropping. I don't mean to be so harsh, but Honestly Nevermind made me kind of wish Drake would say nevermind to his current occupation. I have little hope of this being anything worthwhile, as Drake has not had a good bar since he decided his direction was Hotline Bling.

The album begins with "Rich Flex", and at least it is honest. The first thing I noticed is...Drake is not as tuned? Like he sounds more like his early voice efforts? Okay...I'll listen a minute.

"Major Distribution" is a steady normal party rap track. Nothing particularly special about it. Nothing particularly bad either. 

"On BS" isn't too bad but I really hate that spoken interlude part in it. Just kind of pulls you out of a vibe.

"BackOutsideBoyz" irritates me. It has an annoying vocalist but I like the beat of it. 

"Privileged Rappers" kind of just reminds me everything I hate about most rap music. 

"Spin Bout U" sounds like a pretty basic Drake song. If you like him, it isn't too bad.

"Hours in Silence" is the first solid track. Sounds like some emotionality to it rather than just vibing. It doesn't become disjointed or clunky. 

Ugh you went from a good track to "Treacherous Twin", which is the second song I find rather irritating on this release. I will say, this release is still miles ahead of whatever Honestly, Nevermind was.

Despite disliking the name drop, "Circo Loco" is a solid track. Drake and 21 Savage seem to know how to hold their bars well and I don't feel like anyone is outdoing the other.

"Pussy and Millions" is just insulting my intelligence at this point and giving me a headache.

Did he really just say he has girls screaming like he's Justin Bieber...? "Broke Boys" is rather weird of a flex. None of the flexes feel...good? I absolutely love the instrumental shift though.

"Middle of the Ocean" is a solid hardcore rap track. Not my bag exactly, but nothing bad about it.

"Jumbotron Shit Poppin" is as annoying as the song title itself. 

"More M's" just doesn't make a lot of sense to me? I rather them say something. I mean when Kendrick's new album is still there, you need to apply more effort.

"3AM on Glenwood" is a better storylined track, not just pointless flexing and discussing all the chicks they're putting their parts in. 

The album closes with "I Guess It's Fuck Me", which feels like a weird closer? Is this her loss or yours dude?

MUSIC: 8/10 - for rap music, most of the music is solid. It keeps you interested. Doesn't disrupt much. I dislike some of the spoken pieces as I feel they don't really fit.

LYRICS: 4/10 - Dude really negated Megan Thee Stallion being shot by Torey Lanez AND suggested he makes girls scream like Bieber. The bars really rarely showed substance on this release. 

OVERALL: 6/10 - Average every day hip-hop beats. If we compare it to Drake's last two releases, it is stronger. A step back in the right direction maybe. If he really had one. 


Comments