ALBUM REVIEW: Palomino - First Aid Kit

 I have a complicated history with this duo. I was a big fan of their debut album. Afterwards, they went a twitch more mainstream but lost the flare that made me appreciate their first work. I rejected their second album and frankly, ignored their third. The interviews have them getting back together after breaking up as a duo, and the singles impressed me as sounding more like themselves again. Color my expectations possibly too high.

"Out of my Head" reminds me a bit of a Fleetwood Mac style soft rock track, and is a good upbeat sound for them. They found the flare without losing themselves there.

"Angel" they originally spoke as being about some of their own struggles with their relationship and coming back together (they are sisters!). A strong track, and the harmonies are infectious. 

I am not really a full fan of the instrumental of "Ready to Run". Some of the components feel disruptive and take away from the song.

"Turning Onto You" is such a sweet little sentimental song. A lot like familiar lyricism of their first work.

"Fallen Snow" is so easy to get lost in instrumentally with solid lyricism. I could see some forgetting the track is there though.

"Wild Horses II" feels like this bittersweet nostalgia trip of letting go of old loves. 

"The Last One" feels so sweet. I love the strings that come in on the bridge. Just makes it feel more special.

"Nobody Knows" continues the beautiful string arrangements with a flare of mystery a little less known to them.

"A Feeling That Never Came" is a rather forgettable track in the midst of them. Nothing deeply wrong with it, just doesn't grab.

"29 Palms Highway" feels like a good transition of other themes. Needing to talk and open up, allowing the floodgates to open for that. 

The album closes with "Palomino", which feels like a solid closer. Wanting to spread your wings and be free, but also to go along and enjoy that for them.

MUSIC: 8/10 - I feel like some musical arrangements did not work as well, and in general I think some may find the album too sonically cohesive. 

LYRICS: 8/10 - Solid lyricism. I feel it fits. Not clunky and difficult. I think sometimes it could have been just a little stronger to make you come back to it more.

OVERALL: 8/10 - A great comeback for them. I feel like they found better balance between their transition toward a more upbeat sound and their original sounds. 

Comments