PRE-RELEASE REVIEW: Minus Something - Kai Gá

 First, I'd like to say this is my first real honor of getting an advance listen of a track. It feels absolutely amazing to have the chance to hear something and get the name out of a new and upcoming artist, regardless of size. 

Kai Gá, who formerly went as KVI GVRCIA is rebranding a bit after some personal life events. This has not at all hurt the progression of their indie synthpop dream. If you have not already heard their other tracks, I would begin with Stars. Just a personal preference, but it just has a sort of Blue Neighborhood Troye Sivan vibe to it that pulls you in. 1974 will remind you of some previous dark wave gems of the likes of the Cure or even Depeche Mode. 

Currently, their music is only available via digital. Streaming services do house it and every follow and stream helps them grow! You can pre-save the single at https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/kaig/minus-something-3

"Minus Everything", the new single, makes me think of the National but upbeat and more accessible. It is a nice evolution from earlier track 1974. The guitar riff is infectious, and the chorus just makes you want to chant it in your car.

I feel the lyrics grapple into a difficult experience of struggling to feel a sense of connection with the world. Even not being able to sing along, like a frog in the throat holds you back from experience and jumping in. I think anyone at some point can connect to the lyrics, and the upbeat nature of the track makes it one that gets stuck in your head. 

I recommend giving it a shot. I particularly recommend this track if you enjoy 80s pop, particularly in the vein of new and dark wave. I also think those who love the indie vibes of artists like some of Girl in Red or Vampire Weekend. This song personally is an 8/10 to me. It gets me excited for what is coming forward from it, and the vocals are stellar. 

If you want to pre-save and stream this new track, again, here is the link! https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/kaig/minus-something-3 . The official release day is November 30th, 2022! 


Comments