THE WORST OF 2022: A REVIEW

 Tis the season to be merry and bright. But for those on your naughty list, I have a hearty list of suggestions. Making someone listen to these records long term may cause outside symptoms including but not limited to irritability, depressive distaste for modern music, and headaches. Disappointment is a naturally occurring side effect, as these musicians made us question them. Okay, maybe it was JUST me...but while the world gives their best of lists, it is time for my worst of. A solid reminder of the level of roast some deserve and maybe the dish got passed. No one wanted that half rotten tuna fish casserole anyway. 

It takes a special kind of bad to hit my not list. These albums must be excessively cringey, with a side of no redeeming qualities. Perhaps they wrote an album entirely of ABCDEFU style annoyance, or the flexing their stash of illicit items grew too much for me. For whatever reason, remember this is my opinion. I of course cannot help you acquire taste. I can only tell you what mine is. 

I begin my setlist with everything that has gone wrong with country. No for once I'm not soapboxing about Florida Georgia Line. Perhaps you somehow escaped 2022 unscathed by the "apple bee's" song as many began to call it. Walker Hayes somehow got so many plays out of "Fancy Like", and after being that ridiculous, I cannot say his album did me much better. I know many disdain that every country song is pickup trucks, dogs, and beer. But after hearing this? If this is all I ever knew of music, I'd probably be in the back of those trucks with the dogs also. Gotta drown that sorrow somehow.

If you managed to survive Walker Hayes ruining country, then let me tell you where POP is going. Pop went the ability to even write a compelling song about sex. Kim Petras, who sadly prior showed actual talent, decided to toss aside any artistic integrity with whatever the actual hell "SLUT POP" is. I would not want to be the GOAT of that trash.

If that was not enough for you, I offer you the maximum cringe factor that Oliver Tree is still making music. Sad cowboy music? Yes his album "Cowboy Tears" is not anymore noteworthy than anything else he has done. Somehow this meme continues to be called a singer.

If you are still a sucker for punishment, I would like to inform you Machine Gun Kelly still makes music. Think that's all we have to add there.

After releasing the rather intriguing even to me "Unlimited Love", the Red Hot Chili Peppers closed out by releasing "Return of the Dream Canteen", and reminded me how dreadful their music can be at times.

Are you still there? Halestorm released the flattest personal album. I say that because Miss Hale spent the promo cycle discussing how therapeutic this album was. Therapy? Where? This was the most boring lyricism trying to hold itself up with guitar riffs we've heard before...

Jack Harlow shattered our expectations! No really...everyone's expectations fell into a pit of despair that after all the hype this is the album he put out. 

Beyond this, if you hadn't given up yet, let me remind you of 2022's first Drake album. Honestly, Nevermind is an amazingly fitting title. I honestly wish I never heard this. Anyone who tells me this is good...nevermind. I cannot help you. If you have not figured out this album is a disgrace even to Drake's catalog, nothing can be reasoned to you.

By this time we're also two "SZNS" into Weezer's weird seasonal album project. And admittedly, I just am not a Weezer fan. They have not done anything to deserve to be hateable, but an album every season is too much exposure for me.

Imagine Dragons "Mercury Act 2" will hold a special place in my heart. While act one almost gave me a small inkling of hope they could return to Night Visions capabilities, my expectations were quickly adjusted again. A child in grade school could likely write more thought provoking lyrics to some of these wannabe angst machines. 

I am here to inform you that Steve Lacy cannot sing a lick. With that information, you will understand my disdain for the obsession with Bad Habits, and the album it came off of.

Demi Lovato said they were returning to their roots in pop/rock. Instead of actually going back to their actual original sound, they did a poor rendition of modern pop/punk trying to be the Pretty Reckless. I was not amused in the slightest, but they also have not released a good album since Confident.

Brendan Urie did in fact wreck vengeance upon our world. Viva Las Vengeance was definitely blunt force trauma to my ears, with little room for recovery. Possibly the worst Panic at the Urie album I ever heard. 

You may be curious and lost now...wait. WHAT DOES this person even like? Well lucky for you in the coming days, I will have a compilation of my BEST list! And it might even surprise you. Stay tuned.

Comments