ALBUM REVIEW: Rubber Soul - The Beatles

 If there is a classic band I know well, it is in fact the Beatles. My grandfather is a massive Beatles fan. He followed all their works beyond the Beatles, with his personal favorite being Paul McCartney. If you have somehow lived your life without ever hearing of them, you should know they took the entire world by storm when they came out. Girls passing out when they saw them, sold out tours, and 20 Billboard top 100 singles. No one has yet beat this record either.

Rubber Soul is actually the 6th album in their catalog, but the title itself and the lyricism shows their development and growth artistically. It marked the beginning of their material that would advance into albums like Revolver. 

The album begins with "Drive My Car", which it feels humorous to hear a band of their caliber sing about "Baby I'm gonna be a star". Also the choice to audibly "beep beep" to refer to the car. The instrumental is rather catchy and grabbing though.

"Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" utilizes a sitar, which creates a unique sound. It seems a very reflective song. You kind of feel like an onlooker into a couple's life in their home.

"You Won't See Me" just feels kind of fillery. It is very syrupy like the previous works of the Beatles. Nothing wrong with a regular filler track to add to it. 

"Nowhere Man" returns to the reflective nature of Norwegian Wood. It seems rather ironic the song came from Lennon struggling to write a meaningful song. Sometimes our own frustrations can create quite a gem.

"Think for Yourself" is a rather different and more biting work. While the Beatles are usually sugary, someone tossed some wasabi or something on the dish. Definitely some edge here. I think the message could be well utilized today - think for yourself for your own sake.

"The Word" comes off a little clunky and meaningless. What exactly is the word? I feel like I spent most of the song wondering what they were actually trying to say.

Inspired by Chet Baker, McCartney wrote "Michelle", a rather sweet love song with some french in it. I think it worked better than the first syrupy McCartney track. 

Ringo always makes things interesting, and "What Goes On" is no different. He always had a very unique voice. It almost has a mix of soul and country both in it. Feels like only Ringo could make this song work.

"Girl" has a compelling story while the instrumental creates a visual. It feels like a man walking down the street in the rain, contemplating his romance and life. 

"I'm Looking Through You" almost has a little too much going on in places, coming off a little clunky. The random guitar riffs at the end of each chorus really pull me out of the song.

"In My Life" is a syrupy love song but this one is more preferable. It feels so representative of all the little things of love. How it can consume your every day.

"Wait" was a reject from the prior album, redone to fit with Rubber Soul's style. I feel perhaps it should have stayed in the bin of rejects. It is very clunky with way too much going on.

"If I Needed Someone" vocal inflections create a much stronger emotion than previous releases. They are learning how to better utilize their voices as instruments.

"Run for Your Life" is very rough around the edges. I am not sure I enjoy it at all. A strange closer to the album overall. Almost comes off threatening. 

This is the standard run for the album in most markets besides North America, for the sake of different pressings, I will also review the original US tracklist tracks, which include "I've Just Seen a Face" and "It's Only Love" which for other releases was actually on the Help! album.

"It's Only Love" feels more like fillery syrup again. What I typically think of when I think of the Beatles. 

"I've Just Seen a Face" is a more enjoyable, uptempo track involving love at the first glance. The rush and daydreaming about this person.

MUSIC: 7/10 - I like the shift of instrumentation. A lot of Beatles albums can come off a little one-note early on. This definitely shifted in their later work.

LYRICS: 6/10 - I don't necessarily go to the Beatles for deep reflective lyricisms, but I do appreciate their ability to articulate syrupy silly loves songs. However, this album shows some general growth in the lyricism section being more reflective. 

OVERALL: 7/10 - A historical body of work that can definitely get stuck in your head if you listen to Drive My Car too long. 


Comments