NEW RELEASE: Let's Start Here - Lil Yachty

 Alright, so my experience with this young man is as most. He hopped on the rap train during the great mumble rap era of hip hop. I will let you decide if that is good or bad, some like it and some do not. However, he has now hopped upon a more promising train perhaps. Shifting to a new genre. 

The album begins with "the Black Seminole" and color me absolutely in shock. Okay so his voice is still very autotuned, but the instrumentation is some Pink Floyd type of prog rock. I am actually highly impressed. I expected this to be some embarrassing half-baked Machine Gun Kelly garbage. 

The instrumentation of "The Ride" is a bit more Tame Impala. The voice pitch is very annoying to me though so it kind of pulls me out.

"Running Out of Time" stays in the modern psychedelic. The vibe just feels so beachy. Open the sunroof.

We cannot forget in spite of the outstanding musical change, Lil Yachty is in fact still a rapper. "Pretty" is our reminder lyrically. The female vocalist is pretty though.

"Failure" is a spoken word piece that's actually a nice reminder that rap is really just beat poetry. I kind of wish the lyrics on the songs thus far had the profoundness of this spoken word song.

"The Zone" is a really solid track. The instrumental is grabbing more and the vocals are less edited. Best track so far.

I think I could listen to the instrumentals of this album all day. "We Saw the Sun" has a rather confusing outro though.

"Drive Me Crazy" is almost a bit disco. It is also a little forgettable in respects to other tracks.

"I Officially Lost Vision" might be my favorite instrumental of the album. 

"Say Something" is such a good fade. It just feels like a good shift. Getting lost and then being in the subconscious hope. 

I saw some others saying this album loses steam in the second half but I think I disagree at this point. I feel like it is actually getting better. "Paint the Sky" is definitely a vibe you can get lost in.

"Should I B?" takes us back to I Officially Lost Vision and I am here for this sonically all day long.

"The Alchemist" is a little too chaotic for me. Takes me out of the vibe a little.

The album closes with "Reach the Sunshine" and it really brings together a lot of the unique sonic features of the album.

LYRICS: 4/10 - Okay getting real, the shining star of this body of work is NOT what this man wrote. There's a lot of these tracks if he did not rap or sing at all they'd face no changes. 

MUSIC: 9/10 - The instrumentation of this album is absolutely nothing I expect from a soundcloud rapper. Not in the slightest. It is so sonically unique while remaining cohesive and together. I think a couple times it got a little too crazy and pulled me out, but this musically is such an experience to get lost in. 

OVERALL: 7/10 - If you want a modern psychedelic vibe that combines Pink Floyd, Tame Impala, and small sprinkles of the pop/punk trends of now, this is that album. I am highly impressed with the instrumentation, and you can get lost listening to it. I absolutely was not expecting this one. 

Comments