NEW RELEASE: Like..? - Ice Spice

 Once in a while I have to grace my ears with genres outside of my realm. My realm is pop and alternative usually. I think many people learn this rather quickly when talking to me. I've heard Ice Spice getting some hype, so I wanted to see what I was getting into.

If you were expecting something exceptionally innovative to female rap, you are not exactly getting it. It is still anthems of sexuality and finding their feminist power. If that is your vibe, Ice Spice may be a solid selection. However, when I roast the lyrics on this body of work, do not be surprised.

The EP begins with "In Ha Mood", and she's rapping with as much enthusiasm as a beige wall. This song needed attitude to work. I mean, this guy is supposed to be realizing what he is missing!

"Princess Diana" isn't bad but you could just go get the full budget of this by listening to Megan Thee Stallion. She actually has the attitude needed. 

"Gangsta Boo" would sound a lot better if this was Cardi B. This just absolutely sounds like her vibe. 

"Actin a Smoochie" is the first one that has signs of life in it and not just like a bad discount version of a better female rapper. It sounds like she got some confidence for this. 

Is this really titled "Bikini Bottom"? Okay then...Don't let the other Spongebob kids find that. 

"Munch (Feelin' U)" apparently is the one that went viral and is the only other one showing signs of life in my eyes. She felt this one too. Not something I feel super connected with though. 

LYRICS: 3/10 - Nothing super inventive. Nothing really captivating.

MUSIC: 6/10 - If you like some solid bass lines and go to your rap music for the vibes, I will say the instrumentation here is definitely up that alley.

OVERALL: 4/10 - Would not return to this. It just makes me want to go for the higher budget version of the same thing. 

Comments