NEW RELEASE: SINGLE DRIVE-BYS

 There was not much prominent in the scope of albums this week, but we do have some stellar singles that have come out to take a closer look at.

Miley Cyrus has made her return with her debut single for her new album slated for release. I am always...hesitant about new Miley album releases. She never stays with one style long. This is sadly no different. "Flowers" leaves me underwhelmed. Rather than continuing the Plastic Hearts trend, she went...toward disco? I am not digging this at all. It feels like she released a filler track as the lead single. 

For those who miss the DJs making hits days, Alok has collaborated with James Arthur to release "Work With My Love". I am not a fan of James Arthur's voice. It is a bit less grating here, but he sounds strained in the high note parts.

ThxSoMuch has been getting a little leverage in the pop/punk scene. I find the production of "Caroline" to be a bit grating, along with the fact the song becomes repetitive. It just doesn't have a "wow" factor to it.

I have not heard of Indy before, but her release "Hometown" is the first on new music friday to really impress me. It is a solid pop ballad with some actual emotion to it. Not overdone. Pleasant voice. 

I have not heard Ella Vos until now. It is very indie synthpop vibes music. "Mindreader" at first felt a bit strange but as the song goes on it actually improves. Makes me interested in what else she has done. 

I have liked a couple other Julia Wolf songs. She is similar to Julia Michaels in sound. "Rookie of the Year" is a rather grating release. Very clunky with unnecessary cuss words. 

I...must admit. I find Andy Grammar a bit grating. His voice doesn't grab me. He is kind of like Michael Buble but pop and annoyingly twisting everything into an overly positive anthem. "These Tears" are really no different, so if he is your thing, he's back!

If you needed a unique jazzy pop twist to your mood, Liv.e is answering that quest. "Find Out" is silky smooth and waiting to caress you. I really like the soft vibe of it. Very pleasant vocals.

New male singer choices are becoming unbearable. First it was the Tai Verdes guy, we got the Steve Lacy guy, the Sunroof guy...and here comes Anees to add to my assault. These beachy tracks with dudes lacking singing skills just need to stop. Your voice is grating, you don't have the vocals to pull off the soul you are trying to do, and the songs are lame. Just stop.

I have never heard Daughter. I am suddenly sad because there are 3 full albums and this song sounds so beautiful. A bit broody, electronic, and even incorporates some beautifully dramatic orchestration. This is right up my alley. "Be on Your Way" is very impressive and makes me want to look into their back catalog rather immediately.

Paramore is back with yet another single called "C'est Comme Ca". I gotta say this one does not grab me at all. Rather strange choice of vocalization. Would be very forgettable due the genuine repetitiveness. This may be one of the more...grating Paramore songs I've heard.

You know...I was never huge on All Time Low in their prime. Like they were okay, but nothing particularly special to me at the time. I feel like they should have stopped like...maybe 3ish albums ago. I think on the level of "I've run out of teen angst ideas to write about" this earns a solid 10 and a suggestion of permanent retirement...A true all time low..."Tell Me I'm Alive" is just embarrassing on the level of Imagine Dragons recent works.

I had never actually heard Everything but the Girl. They are kind of giving a little bit of a more dancey Eurythmics. The beat of "Nothing Left to Lose" is very grating to me and makes me not want to hear more. I do however like her vocalizations. 

Gracie Abrams has dropped another new single. "Where Do We Go Now?" who has an exciting aid on it...Aaron Dessner. Beautiful track that builds up nicely. I think he added some depth to her softness. She has also announced the future album it will be on, "Good Riddance". I did not realize her release "This Is What It Feels Like" was considered an EP? That's a long dang EP...but this is going to be considered her "debut" rather. 

Nice to see Bea Miller is back too. Even though I have not enjoyed anything of her since "Aurora" as an album. I am so excited to hear her return to a sound similar to her first album. "Lonely Bitch" is 100x better than what I had been hearing from her. 

"Even When I'm Not With You" by Pierce the Veil makes me glad their comeback hasn't been as cringey as All Time Low. This isn't as good as the other two singles to me, but at least it is not as you know...running out of ideas.

Ava Max has also dropped a new single for "Diamonds & Dancefloors" and "One of Us" is another very enjoyable pop song. Hear me out, we do not go to Ava Max for intense depth or something fresh. We come for enjoyable pop filler that is very addictive and produced very well. I am excited to say this definitely does not miss.

That closes the many singles for the week. I hope the new albums coming more toward the February and March months from the single drops will be as good. For some, maybe less awkward. 



Comments