NEW RELEASE: SINGLE DRIVE-BYS

 After being impressed with one and less than amused by the other, let us see what this weeks single bag has to offer!

Boygenius is back. Rather fitting since the National is waking back up. I have however always been rather bored with most of these bodies of work. "Emily I'm Sorry" at least sounds a little more interesting. I still do not see myself returning to it though.

Arlo Parks is coming back! If you like Corinne Bailey Rae or Sade, you may be attracted to the smoothness of her first body of work. "Weightless" definitely shows a poppier shift on her sound with the new single, but it is produced well and I actually really enjoy it. Excited for the second album.

Ed Sheeran has written a memorial song for lost friend Jamal Edwards, who helped jumpstart his career. Sheeran has an impeccable way of writing about grief to me and this is another beautiful song. 

I discovered the National when I heard a song of theirs playing over radio in a department store. Rather amusing story, but it is a sound and voice I have not forgotten. Felt elated to hear a new release coming. "Tropic Morning News" has me very interested in where the new album is going. It feels slightly new sonically yet still enough of what makes them who they are.

Fall Out Boy is back. No, god, not Mania. This will be like Liz Phair's "Funstyle" guys, we will absolutely forget this happened and presume it does not exist. The REAL Fall Out Boy is back. Not the impostor. If you watch the video, there are even homages to the other emo bands of the time. Fall Out Boy is a mixed bag to me, but for some reason I do like the new single. "Love From the Other Side" definitely seems a bit more like a cross of Save Rock n Roll and Under the Cork Tree.

Every time I see a new Kim Petras song, I feel a hesitation. A fear that it may be as poor as her verse on "Holy" or as bad as anything on "Slut Pop". But I will admit, Brrr, is some decent generic pop. I kind of like it. I will likely be over it and forgotten it in 2 weeks but for now I will accept it.

Yes another Kelela single. If you are jamming to what SZA is doing, come to this side, it is just as nice over here. "Contact" is by far my favorite single so far. 

Enjoy your dose of new, fun tunes.

Comments