NEW RELEASE: Cuts & Bruises - Inhaler

 Do you like U2? No I mean really. If you do, time to break it to you if you had no idea. Inhaler is the band of the child of Bono. Their first release was quite good, but I feel had a hard time being perfectly separate. It seemed like Bono could have actually done it. I'm interested if this will set them apart more, or continue on the same track.

Track one "Just to Keep You Satisfied" brings the older album to the 21st century. I do not mean this in a bad way at all. I mean they took their older sound and threw a modern twist of events into it. It is very earwormy. Will very easily get trapped in the brain and nodding along.

Lyrically for some reason, "Love Will Get You There" makes me think of the Beatles. Which is kind of cool, because who doesn't want that little comparison. It sonically is not like the Beatles, but a more eventful indie rock band. 

"So Far So Good" shows they definitely have a flair for the melodic, and almost catchier than you will usually hear U2 be. I like the twist because you'd assume it was a happy song by the title, but it is definitely a sadder track about realizing you lost someone.

"These Are the Days" sounds like a less annoying version of a Bleachers song. Issue is I just don't like Bleachers, so this does not quite grab me either.

It was nice to hear the sonic change of "If You're Gonna Break My Heart". The piano riff mixed in with everything and the bittersweet lyrics seem like one of the better songs from the 1975. Very nice.

"Perfect Storm" is a pretty little love song, and we always need those. The singer just has a way of convincing you he means it here. 

"Dublin in Ecstasy" is another very earwormy track that with everything together, I think it will be returned to a lot. It lyrically can represent a lot of exciting things and new life experiences. I love this one.

"When I Have Her on My Mind" is an infectious love song. I like the freer feeling of this album compared to their first one. 

"Valentine" is one of the first "misses" to me. I think the musical aspect is interesting but I think some of it pulls you out of the track versus enhancing it, as other sonic changes have in other songs.

"The Things I Do" seems like a song dedicated to people who didn't believe in the hard work put into music. An anthem for "doing it anyway" despite the struggle.

The album closes with "Now You Got Me", and kind of wraps the album together. The album's story can be taken as a love letter to becoming a successful band but also love itself.

LYRICS: 6/10 - I honestly feel there were a few more "compelling" lyrics on their debut than this album. I find this album likely to be more accessible to a general public though than their first release. 

MUSIC: 8/10 - I think the actual instrumentation and cohesion of the album is drastically improved from their debut. This is where it is really shining. Not everything worked, but it was cool to see their shift in mold while still keeping enough elements of their roots.

OVERALL: 7/10 - No sophomore slump. Very easy to get stuck in your head. I liked their first album, but find this one easier to return to. 

Comments