NEW RELEASE: Pollen - Tennis

 I have absolutely no idea who Tennis is. I've never heard them, but I mean, an artist called Tennis? I'll try it. Why not! 

For those who do not know, Tennis is actually a husband and wife duo from Colorado. Their genre of choice is indie-pop. 

"Forbidden Doors" isn't a bad starting track, but I feel the strange electronic mix in the background keeps making me want to find the off switch for it.

"Glorietta" is instrumentally better, but there's little passion from the vocalist. I am wondering if there's a shift in this or the whole album is more in that landscape of no expressive changes.

Ouch..."Let's Make a Mistake Tonight" is vocally rough compared to the music. Enough to make you cringe.

"One Night with the Valet" sounds almost like Forbidden Doors. Already recycling?

Okay finally. "Pollen Song" is actually really nice. I like the instrumental, her vocals fit. It is just smooth and cute.

And...they lost me again. "Hotel Valet" sounds like it wants to be an old Berlin ballad but isn't getting there.

Are we Regina Spektor now? "Paper" is a very chirpy track but sounds completely out of place.

"Gibraltar" doesn't make a lot of sense but it isn't bad instrumentally. I've just heard this sound done with more compelling works.

I feel like "Never Been Wrong" must be sarcastic. Either that or the band is full of themselves.

The album closes with "Pillow for a Cloud", boy I wish I had a pillow about now...

LYRICS: 5/10 - Nothng stellar, nothing special, some don't make any sense.

MUSIC: 4/10 - If you heard 3 songs on this album, you heard the album. This is too cohesive.

OVERALL: 4/10 - Yeah...maybe their other albums are better. No idea. But this is not it.

Comments