NEW RELEASE: Trustfall - P!nk

 I've dreaded this release more than any other. Let me take you back in time. "I'm Not Dead" as an album was totally an anthem for my teenage angst years. Loved that album. I liked the album before it. Funhouse was a fantastic release as well.

And then for some reason, Pink decided that she is, in fact, softer. The Truth About Love took us for a different spin. The lead singles were decent but overall the album faltered. Then Beautiful Trauma took us even farther away from the person who once declared she wasn't here for your entertainment and not to mess with her. 

Then I heard the lead single for Trustfall, and just when I did not think Pink could have gotten any worse, it did. My expectations for this listen are in an actual sewer system somewhere.

Alright, I do think "When I Get There" is a very beautiful starter track. Seems to be a sentimental ballad about a lost loved one. She wanted to hear from them from heaven. Pink can do a decent ballad.

"Trustfall" now takes us perfectly to what I expect from Pink in the modern era. Mid-tier lyricism, with dance beats anyone else can do. 

I like when artists add weird accents to the end of their notes thinking it actually adds emotion when it actually just become grating. Yes I am discussing "Turbulence". It isn't bad, but feels fillery.

"Long Way to Go" features the...Lumineers...of all people. I don't mean this badly. I like the Lumineers. But I would have never imagined Pink and them together. Honestly, feel this would have been better as just a Lumineers song. They weren't a good duet.

And now FIRST AID KIT on "Kids in Love"? Pink you are not indie folk. And this again would have been better as a First Aid Kit song. Because it sounds like something they would have written. 

"Never Gonna Not Dance Again" feels a bit deceptive of a lead single because very little of the album sounds like this track. 

"Runaway" takes us back to Trustfall as a track. Same level of feeling toward it as Trustfall too.

"Last Call" really shows it can, in fact, get worse. Honestly, just give me a whole album of piano ballads from Pink before we continue down this road of half baked adult contemporary any longer. 

Is this a small ounce of Pink's spunk back? "Hate Me" is a slightly softer version of it but listen I am grasping straws to have a reason to keep caring. I will take any dose of it.

"Lost Cause" is kind of produced like I am listening to a difficult voicemail between two lovers who are strained. I kind of hate the chorus melody though.

"Feel Something" is a trainwreck for a melody. What a way to grate on everyone.

"Our Song" is a prettier piano ballad that is rather vulnerable. I find it unique a song can have some of the most compelling lyrics on the album and the most basic ones at the same time.

The album closer, "Just Say I'm Sorry", includes...Chris Stapleton. It isn't bad. I just...feel like this album ended up being a bit all over the place.

LYRICS: 5/10 - Some standout songs but mostly feels like rejected filler for another pop artist.

MUSIC: 5/10 - Most of the music is rather inoffensive and uncompelling. Nothing special but nothing to really get angry about either.

OVERALL: 5/10 - Pink hasn't released a memorable album since The Truth About Love. This continues. 

Comments