ALTERNATE THURSDAYS: Celebrity Skin - Hole

 This album is 25 years old. I know this, because it was released the year I was born. I personally tried the very first Hole album and was not at all impressed. I however, did not try their later work.

The first thing you must understand about Hole is that they are controversial. Not necessarily for the music alone, but their lead singer is none other than Courtney Love. Some feel she is the reason Kurt Cobain is no longer with us. Others wish she would stop trying to feud with everyone in a radius of her career. Despite this, Hole is considered one of the most successful alternative rock bands with a female lead. They were also part of the UMG fire, although the company removed them from the suit in 2019 stating their originals were still safe.

Their first album had a lot more punk influence, but Celebrity Skin is noted for its distinct departure from this. Trying to center on California being a metaphor for the American dream, it began a disconnect between her and her bandmate in which she started Hole with. While she and the label wanted the more refined sounds, Erlandson was not as joyed with the transition. He however did follow Love's vision. The group disbanded after this album, until Love briefly revived it for an album which Erlandson said went against promises they had made. While many revisions from reviews tend to see it in a more positive light, others this time were more critical of the release. It was seen as "hollow" compared to other releases, and not as iconic. 

The album begins with "Celebrity Skin", which is quite the introduction...Not sure this is a party I was meant to arrive for but we are here now! Onward, see where the ride takes us. 

"Awful" might be a better song if it had their old styling. Maybe that is weird to say since I was not the biggest fan of it, but it just feels like it needs more edge. This is sugared up but has a very strong statement about the way the music industry treats new, young artists, especially females.

"Hit So Hard" is kind of lyrically confusing. My lean toward the lyrical message is a bit dark, because "He hit so hard I saw stars" and mentions of being glad they were alive...Seems to be abusive relationship themed.

I was thinking how "Malibu" kind of reminds me of a Smashing Pumpkins song. Then I saw Billy Corgan helped produce it. It isn't a bad song, but surprised it came from Hole.

"Reasons to be Beautiful" makes me think what a funny thing it is if she references herself it will sound like Love. It almost reads like an awkward headline the way the verses start out. "Love hates you". "Love hangs herself". I think this is thus far the best song for some reason.

"Dying" is a softer song for them but there's something pretty about the arrangement. Two cool songs in a row, that is nice.

"Use Once & Destroy" was such a convincing title that made me want to like it, but the lyrics just didn't capture the title. I want to write something based on that title now, it is so compelling dang it.

"Northern Star" just does not work. It is too stripped back and her voice just does not fit that style remotely. Her voice is so grating here.

"Boys on the Radio" makes me think about how women even now in rock and country struggle to get radio airplay. It should not be that way, but for some reason... 

"Heaven Tonight" is all over the place and just...too sugary? Within the concept of the album it just feels too sugary.

"Playing Your Song" feels like her referencing the Kurt Cobain drama head on, while also expressing the grief and trauma of that sort of experience. It is by far the best song on this album that, I sometimes wonder if it knows what it actually wants to be.

The closing song is "Petals" which is another of the four songs Billy Corgan helped with. He has a bit of a style you can hear. Nevertheless, it feels like a warning. Beware coming into this industry, it'll tear your petals right off. In a lot of ways these petals could represent vulnerability, innocence, and sensitivity. It is a shame how it isn't wrong.

LYRICS: 8/10 - I find the lyricism mostly compelling. I do think some of the songs are watered down versions of what they could be or say. I think some don't fit with the theme she had going, but most of it works.

MUSIC: 6/10 - The second half of this album is dominantly better than the start of it. I could almost chop it, make it an EP, and it'd be a better album. 

OVERALL: 7/10 - I think the critics are too harsh on albums that go a little more "radio-friendly" sonically. It makes me think of the whole Liz Phair went pop with Why Can't I? so we're supposed to hate her now. I think going poppier actually fit right into the vision and concept she was creating here, about hollywood, about how tainted that dream really is. It deserves the credit it got. Take a listen if you have not yet. 

Comments