NEW MUSIC FRIDAY: The Show - Niall Horan

 If you followed One Direction at all, you probably know them by heart. If not, let me inform you since I own most of their albums in my own collection. Niall Horan was the sole Irish lad of the group. His voice complimented Louis usually in harmonies, them both being the higher vocalist. 

I personally loved Flicker and did not care a lick for Heartbreak Weather. Sure, some could say Flicker sounded too much like Ed Sheeran - but what's wrong with Sheeran anyway? From this album the song "Slow Hands" got the most airplay, and in turn, it seems his career is following that trajectory. Which disappoints me also as much as Harry Styles losing all his writing senses when he began bragging about taking shrooms in his free time. You know, maybe Zayn had a GREAT idea about disappearing and being mostly quiet when I think about how the others have ended up. Except for Louis, Louis just had personal turmoil.

"Heaven" was the lead single and it isn't exactly bad, but there is nothing particularly interesting or memorable about it. Heaven would be the same without this song.

"If You Leave Me" actually has a beat I like but I really do not the distortion or fade of the voice. It sounds like Niall Horan is trying to sound like a Bleachers song brought up to the 90s instead of the 80s and it just is not working.

I am beginning to think Niall found out vocal layers can sound like a chorus of people and is just...running with it. On two songs now. "Meltdown" sounds like a Harry Styles song with the choiral sound like Heaven.

"Never Grow Up" just annoys me. Maybe it is just a sentiment I hate, but to me screeching about never growing up and mentioning pubs in the same song just makes me think you want to spend your days partying instead of actually being responsible and unselfish. 

If life is indeed like a board game can I jump off this train? In seriousness, this is thus far the best song on the album. It is also the most like Flicker. Go figure, it actually says something. "The Show" may even melodically remind you a bit of "This Town" in places. 

I have to question who thought it could be a compliment to say "You Could Start a Cult". Like, it is a love song. I mean, I guess I can say I hadn't heard the analogy before...

"Save My Life" sounds like a filler track. Nothing is necessarily bad about it, but nothing is stand out enough for me to listen to it and remember it.

"On a Night Like Tonight" actually isn't bad. I really just hate the choice of chorus production of most of this album. It doesn't blend well. It drowns his vocals that actually don't need it. It was just an all around bad decision.

"Science" returns to the less produced styling of "The Show" and I appreciate it similarly. 

"Must Be Love" is the closer and a bit infectious. I am really tired of the choir though,

LYRICS: 7/10 - I like Niall for his sentimental lyrics, at times a bit "corny" per say but he always sounds a bit romantic.

MUSIC: 4/10 - The production choices ruined this album, hands down, sorry to say. The choice to overproduce and heavily layer his vocals is KILLING this album. This could have been way better if not for irritating music and production choices.

OVERALL: 5/10 - Bad choices made a decent love story and life discussion album dull and overproduced. Without his convincing vocals, the lyrics do not hit right, and ultimately this album is as forgettable as Heartbreak Weather. 



Comments