POPPIN TUESDAYS: Joyride - Roxette

I discovered a great deal of music from my grandfather's CD box. It was this giant cardboard box where he put all his CDs because he just used itunes or whatever to play the music now. He let me and my brother go through it and borrow the CDs for most of our childhood. I beat up Sheryl Crow's debut and Jewel's "Pieces of You". I took care of this one. 

I have a very soft spot for Roxette. I was deeply saddened by the news of Marie's death. Most of these songs existed on my rotation for many years to the point of me obtaining my own copies. I clearly cared enough for my grandfather to ensure I got the Joyride boxset release, although Joyride was not my introduction to Roxette the band.

This album was a feat for them. With the big international success of Look Sharp!, the label kept pressuring them to relocate and work with big name American producers for the follow up. The pressure was intense, as after they continued their success from the soundtrack song "It Must Have Been Love", the label invested 2 million dollars into the promotional cycle for Joyride. It seemed to work, as the album was met with rave reviews and as of 2001, 11 million copies sold worldwide. 

The album starts with "Joyride". It is a catchy opener, and I do like the lyrics. I sometimes think the album should have closed with Joyride. It would have been a good like, credits song that makes you want to turn it back on.

While I always enjoyed "Hotblooded" on the album, I felt like it is out of place on this particular tracklist. It sounds like something left off of "Look Sharp!". You might have thought this was a Heart style of song actually.

"Fading Like a Flower (Every Time You Leave)" is one of Roxette's best songs in general. A good midtempo pop/rock ballad. 

I realize "Knockin' on Every Door" was not a single or well respected but it is a song I am very endeared to. I like the way it is written. The wording is rather vague about what exactly occurred, but leaves a lot of opening for interpretation so it is easy to insert your own person into it. I also think the music was chosen perfectly to highlight the song. Per just really sold this one to me.

"Spending My Time" kind of makes me think of Cyndi Lauper ballads. It was that time. Those dramatic 80s ballads just hit well though. A song of pining for a lover. I can imagine a lot of teenagers enjoying this. It could be a good prom song actually.

"I Remember You" is a solid track. It is a little fillery though so it isn't something you are likely to choose to listen to. It fits into the tracklist well though. A fun note though, if you have an original US copy of the cd of this album, this song is not included. 

"Watercolours in the Rain" I think is a rather underrated track. Sometimes the slower, sweeter tracks can get overlooked by the catchier or more uptempo works. I think it uses a unique metaphor for being a bit flighty. 

"The Big L." was actually almost a single but did not end up happening. This is honestly my least favorite track on Joyride. The lyrics feel like they were performed better in other places and the song feels kind of disjointed to me. 

"Soul Deep" is actually a redo from their debut album that was not released in the US, "Pearls of Passion", but it actually fits quite well on Joyride. It is a very fun song, not a lot of depth but hey we don't always need that.

"(Do You Get) Excited?" shows how good Roxette can be at being subtlely sensual. It leaves enough to the imagination to be rather clean but provocative enough create the idea. I wish more artists still wrote lyrics subtlely like this.

"Church of Your Heart" is a rather syrupy love song that feels more like filler, but sometimes you like that artifical sweetener. I don't think anyone will remember them for this level of sugar though.

"Small Talk" feels like a bit of an experiment that lead to more of the sonic ideas on the next album. It makes it a little unique in comparison.

I always felt like "Physical Fascination" played with some of the ideas Depeche Mode or The Cure were playing with, a little dark wave leaning and a little more electronic. An underappreciated track.

"Things Will Never Be the Same" is another track that I consider one of their best songs. They made the synths so dramatic and the way the duet is done really grabs your heartstrings.

"Perfect Day" kind of makes you imagine you are in that scene on the Titanic where the woman spreads her arms out and the guy has his arms around her. I cannot tell you why it gives me that visual. It feels like a bit of a dull closer to the album though. That is my only complaint. I feel like the opening song and closing song should be swapped. I probably overthink things.

LYRICS: 8/10 - Some songs are a little bit generic sugar but they mostly fit into their melodies. I've always like their ability to be sensual, romantic, yet subtle and poetic. You have to think with your mind to see the words. 

MUSIC: 8/10 - The actual music is mostly solid and fits the song structures well. No problems here. I think the drawback at times is they lack in sounding different from the other groups of the time musically, but I think they make up for it in overall body.

OVERALL: 8/10 - A great album if you have never taken a listen. I will always make sure Roxette stays alive in the hearts of the people. There have been reissues being released of Roxette's prior work since the death of Marie, so maybe this can be a good starting point for some! 

Comments