ROCKNROLL MONDAY: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

 I grew up regularly hearing the Beatles in my home, particularly because my grandfather is such a big fan. He considers this their most overrated release, to add humor to this situation. With that, I am actually not as familiar with this release since he did not really play it. 

Considering how beloved and iconic this album is revered, I am also rather surprised to see beyond Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, there was not many noteworthy hits that ended up on the later compilations. It is however viewed more in the landscape of being a prototype. It expanded the idea of psychedelic and also laid early frames for progressive rock. It also pushed the concept of being "artists" rather than mere stars.

The album begins with "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", which gives off more of a rock edge than I regularly heard from the Beatles. However the random horn section really pulls you out. I am just one of those that likes a steady sound. The lyrics are a bit on the nose as well.

Wow, a perfect transition! A concept album it is. I feel "With a Little Help From My Friends" obtained various covers, as I feel I heard this song from a different place. The melody here is smoother and easier to connect with. After all, we've all asked for a little help from time to time.

I just really hate the choice of singing tune on this song. It makes "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" sound annoying. The song feels messy. I am not enjoying the trip.

"Getting Better" confuses me a bit. They never properly clarified why they cannot complain anymore or what exactly is getting better. It does seem to be a sort of love song in a way though. 

Now here's a song I can appreciate as an overthinker who needs to kick anxiety out. "Fixing a Hole" feels like an anthem for escapism and just finding inner peace. Some people will just never be happy so why stress over them anyway?

"She's Leaving Home" is actually a lovely song. I am struggling to understand where specifically it fits. The arrangement is fantastic. Feels reminiscent of Long and Winding Road.

I realize this is supposed to be some sort of concept, but honestly I have not figured out the characters one bit. Who is this Mr. Kite? "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" has an interesting production but I am confused where it goes in the narrative and why we entered a haunted circus.

I will commend them for utilizing different instruments on this album for sure. I think if nothing more, the arrangements are something to be deeply looked at. I always tend to dive more into the singing melodies and lyrical concepts, but I think this is the wrong approach to appreciating this album. "Within You Without You" is proof of this. 

"When I'm Sixty-Four" feels reminiscent of the structure of the first song in places. I think the sentiment seems rather sweet. I'm sure many have wondered if the forever promised will in fact happen.

"Lovely Rita" actually gave me a laugh. If I fathom this correctly, he tried to hook up with the parking lady giving him a ticket. That is definitely something I had not heard yet.

If someone played me "Good Morning Good Morning" to awaken me from my slumber, I would promptly throw something at them and tell them to turn that mess off. Horns and a guitar solo at the same time makes my ears hurt.

Here is a reprise of song one! I don't know if I've enjoyed the show or not...

The album closes with "A Day in the Life", taking inspiration from a real event. The orchestral arrangement is a little chaotic, similar to the rest of the work at times.

LYRICS: 3/10 - Sit with me here. You telling me this conceptually made sense to you? I am really unsure what they're specifically speaking about. Maybe I too need to take acid to actually understand this.

MUSIC: 7/10 - Here's where the album needs its accolades. Even if I dislike some of them, the structures are unique, fresh, innovative for the time, but also drive a feeling. Not everything has such a power.

OVERALL: 6/10 - I respect the albums legacy. I will likely never revisit it myself and enjoy it. Nevertheless, it paved a way for something new, something unheard. It tested their own artistic boundaries. If you want an intriguing body of work, buy the album. 



Comments