ALBUM REVIEW: Don't Smile at Me - Billie Eilish

 It never hurt at all to make a review for some records I have, whether now or changed, owned and played myself. I went on a spree of obtaining the entire Billie Eilish collection, and it has been a bit of time and I can see how well her sound really holds up to the ear.

Don't Smile at Me is a solid opening outing, but certainly has its flaws. Instrumentally it ends up very one note compared to her later work. Some of the lyricism is rather juvenile, but that is to be expected from an actual teenager. This EP is held up more by the power of the singles rather than the album tracks. 

The album begins with "Copycat", which for someone who just hit the scene, seems a rather interesting beginning. It is very in your face conceptually. It is quite catchy, but think in the vast amount of music today with a bassy electronic groove that it is a bit forgettable. The music is rather simple.

I am rather fond of "Idontwannabeyouanymore". I think it captures teenage angst and self-esteem issues rather well. The lesser production compliments her soft vocals very well. I just feel sometimes on softer songs she lacks some vulnerability in her delivery that would really send this sky high.

"My Boy" is one of the most forgettable songs. I cannot tell you much about it now despite just playing the record. It just does not stick in my brain. I feel her voice is also drowned in production on this one.

"Watch" is one of those songs that you hear the potential in, but it does not ever quite get to the climatic point. Her delivery could be more scathing to match the lyrics, the production could be stronger, the lyricism could touch more. 

I love the production and style of "Bellyache", but truthfully it is more of an earworm than a real connection. The lyrics do not make a whole lot of sense, but that can be forgiven. 

Most people likely discovered her from "Ocean Eyes", and justfiably, it is a beautiful track. It fits her soft, airy vocal style. The production adds to vulnerability. It is still one of her best songs.

"Hostage" is a solid piano track. I do not enjoy on the chorus where her voice seems overlayered. It took away from the initial rawness selling the track to me.

Other versions include a reprise of Watch called "&Burn" which includes Vince Staples. It frankly adds nothing besides a feeling of repetitiveness to the EP. 

MUSIC: 5/10 - There are some things that absolutely work, but other aspects fall a bit flat. Music sometimes comes off too simple, and some tracks are overproduced. Her music sometimes is too buried in bass. I think it is an attempt to add a darker affect to her otherwise airy voice and they had not mastered it yet.

LYRICS: 7/10 - This is where I think things shine a bit more. Hostage is a good melancholy love song. Ocean Eyes is a vulnerability to falling. Idontwannabeyouanymore captures self-esteem issues so well. Some songs have their lyrical flaws, but she is also young.

OVERALL: 6/10 - It was a very solid debut with great potential to learn and grow. Pick it up if you are interested in her beginnings.

Comments