A YEAR IN RETROSPECT: THE BEST OF 2023

 You heard me whine endlessly about the worst. Maybe to the point you wondered "why does she even listen to music? Does she like anyone?" Turns out I do! I actually found an abundance of gems for 2023, despite weeding through some garbage cans. And I am here to tell you what to buy, because I definitely wasted my money on it already.

I actually did a review earlier of Maneskin's "Rush!", and there's actually an extended cut of the album now! I shall dub this my "grower of the year". The more I heard them, the more they grew on me. I really love the additional cuts so if you can grab the bonus track edition, you should. 

I love deep cuts and cry yourself to sleep music. I cannot do this every night though, it is bad for your health. So how can I fix that? Crying on the dancefloor instead? Cue Ava Max's "Diamonds and Dancefloors". Endless dance-pop bangers that will remind you eurodance should absolutely come back and we should embrace it.

I saw people commenting that Lil Yachty went psychdelic and I wanted to laugh in their faces. I do not like trap music a whole lot. Nevertheless, I wanted to see the hype. I was mouth to the floor levels of shock. So shocked I played it at work for people to hear. Lyrics still not exactly exciting, but the instrumentation of this album makes up for every lesser piece it has. It is outstanding. I cannot believe it came from HIM of all people. 

If you have not heard Kelela yet, I really recommend trying her out. It is very solid electronic music. This album leans a bit more into broody club music. Definitely a mood to get lost in, especially with the mood of the world today. 

When I heard Pierce the Veil was coming back, I was a little worried. I have had mixed bags on these bands returning from their quiet corners. Jaws of Life is absolutely outstanding. I think it stayed true to who they were and was a good reminder what the real scene was like.

Do you miss slow, smooth R&B almost in the vein of listening to Rock the Boat? Enter Kali Uchis. I did not expect to love "Red Moon in Venus" as much as I do. It is just a vibe. Very easy to get lost in. 

Okay, I must first admit. I really do not love Fall Out Boy. I respect their part of the scene, I like a lot of their HITS, but rarely do I enjoy a front to back album. The only one I did of prior is American Beauty/American Psycho. But I knew I had to hear this one because the lead single had elements of symphonic rock and I am a sucker for that. Color me impressed, it is so refined and a thousand times better than Mania.

I am also a sucker for Lana Del Rey and her new album is somehow classic Lana and fresh all in the same. I think the most unique about of "Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Boulevard?" is the writing style. It sounds like a stream of consciousness. Most people do not utilize this in music. But I really appreciate the art.

If you were growing sick of Melanie Martinez playing with schoolyard themes, Portals took us literally to a new universe. It did not change her rather bizarre character play or her in your face weird lyricism, but it definitely allowed for an expansion of her realm of topics and wordplay. I recommend at least trying it.

Speaking of needing some mindless pop music - Ellie Goulding's new album is right there. Higher Than Heaven is so earwormy, and in the most honest way, she promoted this as something just fun and not really personal. Sometimes we need some fun.

The National blessed us with not one but TWO albums this year, that are meant to go together. I know some critics considered "The First Two Pages of Frankenstein" to be lifeless and lacking, but there's something so beautiful about it to me front to back. You can hear the story, the pain, so graphically. It isn't made for one or two songs - it is made to sit and listen. The second release is far more fit for someone wanting an experience of maybe a few solid tracks. Both are worth taking your time to hear.

Ed Sheeran also blessed us with two releases, and I have both of them, but we really need to discuss Autumn Variations. This release has been crapped on by everyone, but it reminds me so much of his roots in +. It feels fitting after Subtract. It is often in our pain and adversity that we return home, where we once were. Our roots. The foundation. Seems very fitting to me.

Megan Moroney disappointed me by NOT RELEASING A VINYL FOR LUCKY. If you want some country fit for crying emo girls then look no further. Her lyrics are beautiful and she deserves to be on the rising country stars list.

Kesha released "Gag Order", which seems a response to all the proceedings. Regardless of whose side you feel is right or wrong, this album is possibly the best release she has ever put out. The production scaled back, pieces of old and new, the lyrical rawness. It is a shame it was overshadowed this year.

I admittedly originally thought I hated Lewis Capaldi. I take it back. His lyricism really hits in the heartstrings. And if you enjoyed his first album, "Broken by a Desire to be Heavenly Sent" will catch you too.

I don't think we can have a best of list without mentioning "But Here We Are" by Foo Fighters. A great homage to their lost drummer, and truthfully, the best release from them in years.

You may have discovered Misterwives from various channels. For me, Reflections was an iTunes single of the week. Yeah, remember those? Well label and personal struggles led them to the release of "Nosebleeds", probably their best album and one of my personal favorites this year. Front to back fantastic and in your face. It is not at all like their old work.

Greta Van Fleet continues to grow their sound and individualism with "Starcatcher". I feel like they're proving themselves to be more of a Floyd/The Who than a Zeppelin, and I think we should just embrace these kids bringing a classic rock sound to the front. 

Can there be a best of list without Olivia Rodrigo? I was terribly afraid of her disappointing me because how much I loved Sour. Well...I have not even turned Sour on in a while. I am way too busy screaming "Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl" at the top of my lungs. I'll be hanging out with Guts for a very extended period. She actually improved from Sour and I did not think it was possible.

Speaking of mindless pop fun...Leah Kate. She is not signed to a label at this point, but maybe that is a good thing. They haven't taken her spunk. "Super Over" is so catchy and it has all the attitude you need to be very over your bad taste in men! 

I don't know why Madison Beer is not getting more respect so I am taking a moment to give it. "Silence Between Songs" is a gorgeous release front to back, with an old school feel in the vein of Lana Del Rey with more vocal range. Give her your time.

More mindless pop coming your way, but listen. With all the sad dark music hitting everywhere, a lot of the best dance-pop gems are being missed. Slayyyter is flying right under our noses, but is the closest thing we're gonna get to Lady Gaga's earlier pieces. Do not let the title "Starfucker" keep you from trying it if you want something fun and earworm filled.

I did not expect to enjoy Holly Humberstone's debut "Paint My Bedroom Black", but it has all the good lyricism of everyone's favorite indie girls without being as boring and lifeless as they are.

1989 Taylor's Version is the best Taylor Version and I never imagined I'd be fighting for this. 1989 is not my favorite release of hers, but the new edition fixed many of the productions I disliked strongly and allowed me to more fully enjoy this release. 

For something a bit different, I would like to raise up "How to Start a Garden" by Nanna. She is the lead female vocalist of Of Monsters and Men. If you like slower songs of their catalog like "Organs" then this album is up your alley. Beautiful work and not too far from her sound.

I would like to close this with Tate McRae's "Think Later". Hear me out again about some mindless pop. She does not have a ton of dynamic range or compelling stories, but sometimes you really just want some catchy music about making bad decisions. Hey, it'll be right up the alley. 

And that is it from me. Look forward to seeing you all next year!

Comments